Just while browsing through my recipes I had realized I have posted any Bengali cuisine whereas I make one of them regularly at home. So today i Just while browsing through my recipes I had realized I have posted any Bengali cuisine whereas I make one of them regularly at home. So today I am posting a starter or even you can say it’s a side dish to go along with rice, Begun Bhaja or Baingun Bhaja. Baingan/begun means Eggplant and Bhaja means roasted, so note down how to make it.
Category: Starter/Side Dish
- 1 large eggplant (baingan/begun) cut into half inch round slices
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder/hadli
- 1 tsp dried mango/amchur powder (optional)
- rice flour as required to roll the slices
- salt as required
- mustard oil or any oil cooking oil for frying
- Rinse the eggplant (baingan) well in water. Pat dry with a kitchen towel.
- Now slice the eggplant in ½ inch thick roundels.
- Soak these slices in salt water for 15-20 minutes, by doing this the baingans will not turn black in colour. Remove and pat dry all the slices.
- Now add all the spice powders and salt and mix the slices well. Marinate for atleast 8-10 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan. Take rice flour in a plate. Coat each slice with rice flour.
- Now pan fry the baingan slices till crisp and golden brown on both sides.
- Drain baingan slices on kitchen tissues.
- Serve Begun Bhaja hot with yogurt, salsa and some bread or rotis or rice and dal.
- 2-3 medium sized fresh tomatoes (from 1 lb to 1 1/2 lb), stems removed, finely diced
- ½ onion, finely diced
- 1 tbsp jalapeño chilli (stems, ribs, seeds removed), finely chopped
- Juice of one lime
- 1tsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp finely chopped cilantro
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Roasted cumin powder to sprinkle(optional)
Chop up 2 medium sized fresh tomatoes. Be very careful while handling these hot peppers. If you can, avoid touching them with your hands.
Combine all of the ingredients in a medium sized bowl.
Check the taste if salsa is too hot add some extra tomatoes.
I hope you liked today’s new creation at Aps Kitchen,
Till then Happy Cooking.