Onion Rings

I had known only about onion bhajji/pakoda till I had these onion rings. It was years ago when I got married I had been to a food joint and tasted it there and when I thought of making it I saw there was egg in it, while I would eat indirect eggs like in cake, cookies but would never cook with eggs.

When my elder daughter was found allergic to eggs they stopped entering home as she would want to eat omelet.  I We love onion rings and one fine day I tried it as I had large brown onions and my neighbor had asked me for tea. I wish those days come soon!

Let’s get to making onion rings.

Ingredients

3 brown onions

½ cup flour + 2 tbsp

½ tsp baking powder

1 tsp flax seeds powder

½ tsp garlic powder

¾ cup milk

¾ cup breadcrumbs

Salt, to taste

Dried herbs(optional)

 \

Method:

In 3 tsp water add 1 tsp flax seed and allow it to fluff up. This is called flax egg( this is replacement of egg in this recipe)

Peel the onions and cut into thick slices.

Separate the rings from the onions.

In a bowl, toss the onion rings with 2 tbsp flour.

In a separate bowl, whisk milk with flour, baking powder, prepared flax egg and garlic powder. If using herbs, add them at this point.

Place the breadcrumbs on a plate.

Heat 2-inches of oil in a skillet.

Dip the onion rings in a batter and shake gently to remove excess. Coat the rings with breadcrumbs and fry in hot oil until golden brown.

Drain on paper towels and serve with your favorite sauce.


Aps Notes:

If you eat eggs you can a beaten egg instead of flax seed.

You can use white onions if you wish but make sure they aren’t strong as onion rings need sweet onions. Using purple or red onions is not recommended.

If you try this recipe do let me know!

Happy Cooking,

Aps


 

Comments