Bhenda Huli - Ladies Finger in tangy gravy

During my childhood dad always said kids become smart if they eat Bhend aka ladies finger and I loved this veggie not because anu told us this I just liked it. I say the same to my daughter and she likes it too I am sure not because I tell her that but she likes Bhindi/bhend/ladies finger in anyform.
This is one such recipe which amma used to make and I just loved it and after my marriage when I made it for Hubby he was in love with this dish. I make this dish once or twice a month atleast as we love this with Daalitoy.
Huli means tangy and this one is my mom’s version of huli so lets see how to make it.
Here is what we need:
¼  kg Lady's Finger, chopped
4 tsp sambar powder
1 tbsp Tamarind Paste
1 medium tomato cut into small cubes
2-3 tsp Oil(I have used coconut oil)
1 green chilli(add more according to your spice level)
¼ th tsp urad dal
¼ th tsp mustard seeds
Few sprig of curry leaves
Salt to taste
Coriander leaves to Garnish



Method:
Heat a wok/kadai  add in coconut oil and add in the urad /split blackgram dal and when it turns golden brown add in mustard seeds when splutters in goes the curry leaves and green chilli. Sauté for a few seconds making sure the seasoning doesn’t burn or urad dal doesn’t turn black in colour.
Now add in the tomatoes and cook for a while or until the tomatoes are done.
When tomatoes are done add sambar powder and mix well. Now goes in the tamarind paste and ladies finger, give it a nice mix and all in the salt(to taste).
Add a little water(around ¼ th cup) making sure the gravy would remain thick once done. Add more only if required.
Bring this mixture to a boil keeping the stove on medium heat. By then the ladies fingers must have been done. Switch off the stove and garnish the Huli with freshly chopped corianger leaves.
Serve with rice and dal.
Note:
You can add more tamarind paste if you like it a little tangy.
If you want it to be spicy increase the green chilli quantity but do not add red chillies as green chillies give a different flavour.
Happy Cooking,
     



Comments

Unknown said…
Aps..though we all belong to different states have noticed that lot of dishes are similar...in Odisha we call it Bhendi Khatta..Khatta means tangy...I have the recipe in my blog..my recipe has tomatoes,curd and mustard paste.With sambar powder and tomatoes I am sure it will be awesome.