I normally make no onion garlic pulao/pulav as it can be eaten even during such days when we avoid onion and garlic.
To pair with this no onion garlic pulav I made Baby corn masala which is again without onion and garlic.
Ingredients for the Pulao/Pulav:
2 cups basmati rice
2 cups mixed vegetables (Beans, Carrot, Peas)
4 cups water
1 inch piece of cinnamon
2-3 green cardamom
1 bay leaf
1 star anise
¼ th tsp jeera(cumin seeds)
½ tsp black cumin seeds (shahi jeera)
2 green chilies, slit
1 tbsp fried/roasted cashew nuts
Salt to taste
Oil + Ghee – 2 tbsp
2 tbsp of finely chopped coriander leaves
Method for making Pulav:
Wash and soak rice for 30 minutes in 4 cups of water as mentioned above *.
Drain the water and keep it aside. Heat oil + ghee in a wide pan.
Once ghee is melted, add shahi jeera,jeera and the whole spices one by one.
Sauté it on low flame till you get nice aroma. Add slit green chilies.
Follow it with the chopped vegetables and saute it nicely for 5 minutes on medium flame.
Now add the drained rice water and allow it to boil.
Add in the soaked and drained basmati rice.
Add salt as per the taste.
Stir it very gently taking care that the rice does not break, as it gets gentle after soaking.
Cook it on medium flame by covering a pan until the rice absorbs the water.
Cook it till done.
Switch off the flame and allow it to rest for few more minutes.
Once done completely uncover the pan and separate the grains with a fork, and garnish with fried cashews [optional] and finely chopped coriander leaves.
Serve it hot with accompaniment of your choice. I served with baby corn masala.
Keep an eye on the pulav to make sure it does not stick to the bottom.
You have to use a wide pan to cook basmati rice orelse it will not fluff up well.
Ingredients for the Baby corn Masala:
- 10 baby corn cut into 2 “ pcs
- 1 cup green capsicum,washed and cubed without seeds
- 2 tomatoes, blanched and pureed
- 1 red bell pepper cut into cubes
- 1 green chilly
- 2 tablespoons ghee/ butter
- Pinch of salt, as per taste
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tbsp low fat cream
- I teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 tablespoon kasuri methi
- 2-3 sprigs of fresh coriander leaves, for garnishing
Method for Baby corn masala :
- To begin making the curry we will start by heating the ghee in a heavy bottomed pan on medium heat. Add in the red bell pepper and green chilli. Sauté them well until they turn translucent. Once done, allow them to cool down and blend it in a mixer using little water to form a smooth paste.
- Next, heat another tablespoon of ghee in the same pan over medium heat; add in the tomato puree and sauté for 2 - 3 minute, mix in the bell pepper paste, sugar, salt, garam masala, green capsicum, baby corn and red chili powder. Cook well till the raw smell disappears.
- Sauté the contents of the pan for another 5 minutes, finally stirring in the milk and low fat cream along with ¼th cup of water. Boil everything together on high heat for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook on low flame for 5 minutes more.
- When the dish is cooked completely, sprinkle a little kasuri methi over it and garnish with the coriander leaves.
You can add full fat cream instead of low fat cream.