Paneer is my daughter’s favorite compared to both of us, and that is rich in source of milk protein, I have started including it in many dishes and sometimes give Chatpata Paneer(for which recipe will follow soon) . I have always loved paneer next to mushrooms and baby corn. Some Indian restaurants do not serve mushrooms so obviously choice goes to Paneer.
Today’s dish is yummy and very easy to make and loved by all Paneer lovers.
Here is what we need for Mutter Paneer:
- 200 gms paneer/cottage cheese
- ½ cup peas or mutter/Pes - fresh or frozen
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ¼ tsp red chili powder
- ½ tsp garam masala powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 Bay leaf/ Tej Patta
- 2 tbsp oil
- a tbsp coriander leaves finely chopped for garnishing
- salt as required
Ingredients for masala/To Grind :
- 2 Big or 3 medium sized ripe red tomatoes roughly chopped
- 1 medium to large onion roughly chopped
- 1 green chili chopped
- ½ inch ginger roughly chopped
- 2-3 garlic roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander chopped
- 5-6 whole cashews soaked in water for atleast half an hour.
Mutter Paneer with Jeera Rice, cucumber Salad and Buttermilk.
Grind all the ingredients mentioned under To Grind in a mixer jar or a blender without adding water as tomato and onion will leave the water on itself.
Heat a deep bottom pan or wok and add 2 tbsp oil in it.
Now add jeera and Bay leaf and when it splutters add in the masala and fry it until the raw smell goes of and oil leave the sides of the pan.
Add turmeric powder, coriander powder, chilly powder and mix well.
Add mutter/peas, a cup of water and salt and mix well and close the lid until peas are cooked(as I have used frozen peas it took only 3 minutes for this).
Now add half a cup of water or more if required and drop in the paneer cubes and garam masala in it and give a gentle stir(do not mix vigorously as the paneer can break).
Cook for 3-4 minutes and check if paneer is cooked, if done remove from flame and garnish with coriander leaves.
Serve hot with Jeera Rice like the way I did or Chapati, roti
For Jeera rice we need:
- 1 cups basmati rice or Jeerakasala rice
- 2 tsp cumin/jeera
- 1 inch cinnamon
- 1 black cardamom
- 2 green cardamom
- 1 bay leaf
- 2-3 cloves
- 5-6 black peppercorns
- 1 or 2 threads of mace
- 2 cups water
- 2 tbsp oil or ghee
- salt as required
Instructions to proceed:
- Soak the basmati rice or Jeerakasala in water for 30 minutes.
- Drain the rice and keep aside.
- Heat a pressure cooker.
- Add ghee.
- On a low or medium flame when the oil becomes hot, add the cumin and all the whole spices mentioned above.
- Let the cumin get browned and the oil fragrant from the spices.
- Add the soaked rice.
- Stir and saute for 1-2 minutes.
- Add salt and 2 cups of water.
- Cover the pressure cooker lid and cook for 2 whistles on medium flame.
- When the jeera rice is done, fluff the rice with a fork and serve jeera rice hot with your favorite side dish.
I have made Jeera rice in Pressure cooker you can make it in normal kadai or deep pan.