Sambar Potatoes/ Potato Roast
I love baby potatoes to normal potatoes and a simple roast with rasam and rice is a super combo. So here is a simple recipe of Sambar potatoes.
- 20 baby potatoes or 6-7 small potatoes or 3 large potatoes
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp red chilly powder
- ½ tsp sambar powder
- a pinch of asafoetida /hing
- 10-12 curry leaves
- 2 tbsp coconut oil or any cooking oil
- 1 tbsp freshly chopped coriander leaves
- Boil or steam the potatoes till they are just cooked. Peel the potatoes.
- Heat oil in a pan. Crackle the mustard seeds first. Then add the curry leaves and sauté for 10-12 seconds.
- Add the cooked and peeled potatoes and stir. Add in all the spice powders, asafoetida and salt.
- Stir well, so that the masala coats the potatoes well. saute for 5-6 mins on a low flame.
- Keep on turning at intervals to ensure even crisping and roasting of the potatoes.
- Garnish the roasted potatoes with coriander leaves .
- Serve potato roast as a side dish with sambar rice, rasam rice or dal rice.
If using large potatoes then cook them and cut them into cubes.
Do not overcook the potatoes as they can get mushy.
You can increase spice according to your choice.