Pav/Indian soft buns
I always wanted to try homemade pav(soft Indian bun) but was hesitant about the texture but all thanks to cooking shooking video it helped me a lot. It came just perfect, along with it I even made some masala buns which were yum!
Recipe Courtesy : Cooking Shooking
Yields around 20 small sized pav
Here is recipe for Laadi Pav/Paav.
- Plain Flour / Maida - 2 Cups
- Milk - ¾ Cup + 1½ Tbsp
- Salt - 1 Tsp
- Butter - 4 Tsp
- Milk Powder - 1½ Tbsp
- Instant Yeast - 2 Tsp
- Sugar - 1 Tbsp
- Milk & Sugar - For Brushing
- Flour - for dusting
- Oil - for greasing
- Warm the milk, Add the sugar, yeast. Mix well and keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Add the dry ingredients i.e maida, salt and milk powder on your kitchen platform mix well and make a well like shape with this.
- After 10 minutes yeast mixture should look frothy, Add this mix to the dry ingredients well and knead it to a dough. This mixture will be sticky but that’s how it has to be says the recipe and I agree with it.
- Now add the butter to the sticky paste and start kneading for atleast 10 minutes. It will turn from sticky mass to a dough .Use scraper to scrape the dough that has stuck to your countertop and knead for 5 more minutes.
- After 15 mins of kneading, transfer this dough to a big bowl apply some oil on top, cover with a cling wrap or kitchen towel and keep aside for 45 mins to one hour.
- It will double in volume after one hour, take someflour dust your hands and punch down the dough. Take it out and knead for one minute, if it sticks too much, sprinkle just a little flour. Dont add too much flour.
- Now divide this dough to lemon sized portions. Now keep one portion on your palm and with other hand roll this in circular motion to make a round shape.
- Take a cake tin (preferably square, but I didn’t have it then so I used round)and grease with oil, place the shaped dough. Keep the dough portions very close touching each other
- Now cover the tin with damp kitchen cloth and keep aside for another 40-45 mins.
- Preheat your oven to 200deg C for 10 minutes.
- Carefully remove the damp cloth after around 30 minutes so that they don’t stick to the cloth.
- After 45 minutes, brush the pav gently with milk and sugar. Gently place the cake tin in the oven and bake for 15 minutes at 200 C.
- Take them out immediately and brush the top part with butter. Keep aside till they cool and ENJOY!
Do not add anything while kneading. It will not be soft if you add anything while kneading.
I've topped the pav with some dried curry leaves and chilli flakes. It's totally optional.
The above mentioned recipe is fool proof and it worked perfectly well with me.
Do try it and Enjoy !