Wishing all Aps Kitchen readers a Happy and Prosperous New Year 2017, may all good things happen to you all and good wishes come true.
It’s first day of the year and lets start the New Year with a Sweet dish. It’s Kaju Katli, the first attempt of kaju katli went wrong but I never gave up and the second time it came perfect and third it was Superb and all at home loved it.
So here is the recipe of kaju katli:
Preperation Time: 5 minutes
Cooking time : Approx 15 minute
Makes : 20 pieces
Recipe Inspired from : Veg recipes of India
- 1 cup cashews
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup water
- ⅛th tsp cardamom powder / elaichi powder
- 1 tsp ghee, clarified butter
- Firstly, in a small mixer/mixie jar or dry grinder add 1 cup cashews and grind to smooth powder. Keep aside. *check notes
- Now in a non stick pan, take ½ cup of sugar along with ¼ cup of water.
- Keep the flame on low and keep on stirring to form syrup.
- Stir the sugar syrup till it forms 1 string consistency.
- Add the cashew powder into the sugar syrup.
- Remember to keep the flame on low all the time and give a good mix.
- Once the cashew paste turns to dough leaving the pan add a tsp of ghee. Continue to mix till the ghee melts completely and dough starts leaving the pan.
- Switch off the stove.
- Transfer the cashew dough on to a sheet of butter paper.
- Grease your hand with little ghee and knead the dough for 30 seconds.
- Once you get smooth dough, cover with another sheet of butter paper.
- With your hands press the dough.
- Then roll the dough with a rolling-pin, adjusting the thickness according to your choice.
- Cut the edges so that you can get perfect diamond shapes, do not worry kids are always waiting to eat these pieces or you can pop them in your mouth too ;).
- Now cut the dough into diamond shape or the shape you wish.
- you can also store it for 3-4 days at room temperature.
- Grind the cashews in one single pulse and do not grind in intervals as cashew will release oils.
- Keep the cashews in room temperature if your cashews are in the fridge as they are moist and this will not make perfect kaju katli.
- Do not over knead, as cashews will start releasing oil.
- Do not boil the sugar syrup after you attain 1 string consistency. as it turns burfi hard and brittle.
- this is a calorie rich dish but eating once a while and work out will burn your calories.
Have a Blessed Year ahead!