Tamatar Ka Achar/ Tomato Pickle




It was one such evenings when we went to market just like we would do every week and peep on whats new. While vegetable shopping my eyes just fell on these gorgeous beauties which were sitting in packets and without even giving it  second thought I was about to buy them, but I soon realized because of the heat(blame the weather) some had gotten moist so the vendore generously gave me one more pack of it saying take 2 at a price of one (because you are a regular customer, yes I am a dedicated customer ;) ) and the happy me jumped and got it back home along with other veggies and fruits.
I packed half of the box to a friend of ours and was about to use some for salad and realized many had gone dry and were not that juicy as I expected, me being me did not worry but googled for a pickle recipe and found a yummy recipe here.
I have altered the recipe a bit, I do recommend you to try it as its just WOW.
Lets proceed to cooking,

 Main Ingredients For the Pickle- Image from I phone 6
Ingredients needed: 
1.5 kg sliced baby/cherry tomato (I used baby/cherry tomatoes but you can use any variety)
½  cup or 2 big bulbs garlic peeled
Tamarind juice (extracted from about one big lemon sized ball) approx ½ cup
1/3rd cup thai/cayenne green chili if you don’t have replace with normal variety *
3 tablespoon Panch phoran spices *
¼ th teaspoon asafoetida
1/3rd cup curry leaves (coarsely chopped)
½  cup olive/mustard oil if you don’t like both replace with any vegetable oil *
Salt to taste
While I was Clicking these beauties the tiny little dimple hands came in to pick them :) - Image from I phone 6

Image from I phone 6




Method:
Using a food mixer/processor coarsely grind garlic and green chillies,you can even grind it with a mortar and pestle. If you don’t like chunky garlic pcs then grind it into a paste.
Heat the mentioned oil in a large thick deep bottom panAdd asafoetida and panch phoran spices. As soon as they sputter, add curry leaves.
Once its  splattered add garlic and chili mixture. Fry for about a minute until they turn lightly golden in color.
Add tomatoes and salt and tamarind juice and 1/2 a cup of water (if the tomatoes aren't juicy or else please do not add water as the pickle will not last for more than a month and you need to use it soon... i knew it would be empty soon so I wasn't much worried about it. ). Mix everything together and bring it to a boil. As the tomatoes start to boil, reduce the heat to medium low and let it simmer until all the liquid gets thickened fpr about 1 to 1.5 hours stirring in between.
At the end the oil will separate. Cook for another 10 minutes making sure there's no water left.
Once done completely cool down before transferring into a clean Jar.
Store it in a cool dry place in air tight containers.
In a refrigerator this pickle can last for at least a month.
Serve with idli, dosa or hot dal and rice or spread for your bread or roti. The choice is yours.



Cute Little Beauties - Image from my Nikon Camera

For Panch Phoran Mix :
Ingredients
  • 1 tbsp nigella seeds
  • 1 tbsp black mustard seeds
  • 1 tbsp fenugreek seeds
  • 1 tbsp fennel seeds
  • 1 tbsp cumin seeds
Mix all this and store in a container and use as required.
For the recipe above use 3 tbsp of the mixture. And keep the rest for closed in the container.

 I served this pickle with Mushti Polo for which I will upload a recipe soon!


Mushti Polo with Tamatar ka Achar -Image from I phone 6
*Note:
I have use 2 thai red chillies and normal green chillies for the pickle. adjust the spice according to your taste buds. You can add extra chillies too if you like it spicy.
If you are using normal variety of tomato or tu caomato that is sour then please adjust the tamarind, if tomatoes are sour it may not at all require tamarind. Here I used baby cherry tomatoes which were not at all sour but a kind of sweet.
I have used olive oil measured ½ cup but actual recipe calls for 1 cup of oil I wanted to reduce oil. If you wish please add 1 cup of oil.
Use a clean and dry spoon every time you dig in the pickle. 
this made 2 jars of pickle(you can see a picture of jar above approx 340gms each bottle)

Happy Cooking,



Comments