Making a no coconut chutney has become a fascination these days may be its easy because early mornings scraping coconut or deep frosting the coconut is a tedious task.
This one chutney is easy to make and requires no coconut. I have adapted this recipe from Raks Kitchen and made a few changes in it.
We need :
- ¼ cup peanuts
- 2 tbsp roasted chana dal/bengal gram
- 1-2 green chili or 4-5 roasted dry red chilies
- ¼ inch ginger
- 12-15 curry leaves + a few for tempering
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- a pinch of asafoetida/hing
- salt as required
- water as required
- Heat a pan.
- Fry the peanuts on a low to medium flame for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the curry leaves and fry for a minute.
- Lastly add the roasted chana dal,& asafoetida and fry for 5 minutes more on a low flame.
- Take care that you don't burn this mix, else the chutney will give a bitter taste and not taste good.
- Let this mixture cool down.
- Add in a grinder or a small blender or mixie jar along with ginger, red chilies(I used red chillies instead of green) and salt.
- Pour little water and grind the peanut chutney to a very smooth consistency.
- You can add more water of you want a little liquid consistency.
- Now heat oil add in mustard seeds and when they splatter add curry leaves and temper over the chutney.
- Serve peanut chutney with idli, dosa.