Tomato Chutney/ Thokku /Pickle /Thakkali Thokku


Tomato Thokku (South Indian Tomato Chutney/ Pickle)
I had tasted this thokku in my aunts house while we went for Vacations in Goa. She made it yummy and whenever mom asked recipe she said a little bit of this that and its done but somehow mom could not make it and I always had this in my Wishlist. I did it a couple of times and its lipsmacking.
I have roughly followed recipe from Raks Kitchen

Ingredients:
1 kg ripe and firm tomatoes
¼ th cup sesame oil (or vegetable oil)
1 ½  tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp roasted fenugreek powder
10 garlic peeled and crushed (optional)
1/2 tsp asafoetida
2 sprigs curry leaves
2 tsp red chilli powder (adjust according to taste)
½  tsp turmeric powder
Salt to taste
½ tsp jaggery
 



Method:
Wash and pat dry the tomatoes. Chop them up into tiny bit and Keep aside.
In a heavy bottomed wok or deep pan, heat the sesame oil. Add the mustard seeds. When they splutter, add asafoetida. Stir a couple of times and add the garlic and saute it till brownish in colour then add curry leaves and the chopped/ chunky tomatoes.
Mix well, and add the turmeric and chilli powders and stir well. Add the salt and ½  tbsp powdered jaggery. Add a little more jaggery if you feel your Thokku is a little too tangy or you can even skip this if you don’t like a sweetish flavor. Mix well and let it come to a boil. Turn down the heat to medium and let the mixture cook down until most of the liquid has evaporated and the oil surfaces the sides. Add the fenugreek powder, mix and let the Thokku cook for another couple of minutes say about 5-6 more minutes in a medium heat.
Let the Thokku cool to room temperature. Transfer to sterile bottles.
 This can be kept  at room temperature for about a week but I prefer keeping it refrigerated (just in case the Thokku hasn’t reduced the water content)
This recipe makes 2 medium size bottles of Tomato Thokku.( 200gms bottle).
Aps Note:
You will get a vibrant red colour if you use kashmiri chilli powder. But the chilli powder that I used did not give that colour so it’s a mild red.
You can add sambhar masala to this if you wish to, I have skipped it as I did not want the sambhar powder flavor in the chutney.
Adding garlic is totally optional, I did as I love the garlicky flavour.
Happy Cooking,

Comments