Theek (Spicy)Tukdi or Spicy diamond cuts as it is called is one such snack which my amma makes regularly at home. My dad likes it more than me. As I keep telling my amma makes all kind of snacks and sweets.
Recipe Adapted from Jaya V Shenoy’s Cookbook.
- ¼ th cup maida/all purpose flour
- ¼ th cup wheat flour/atta
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon owa /ajwain seeds
- ¼ teaspoon crushed black pepper or red chilli powder ( I used red chilli powder)
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 3 tablespoon water
- oil to fry
- Mix maida, wheat flour,salt, ajwain, chilli powder in a bowl.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil ( it must be very hot but not at smoking point) and add it to the mix and mix it really well.
- To this add water little by little and make hard dough. And keep it aside.
To make the tukdi:
- Heat the oil in a pan for frying on a medium heat.
- Divide the prepared dough into 2 parts. Take one part and roll it like a small roti.
- Now roll it like a roti/chapati (⅕ of a cm thick) and prick it with a fork all over so that it does not fluff up.
- Cut into small diamond shapes.
- Fry this in the hot oil until it turns golden brown on both sides.( to check the oil is ready, add little dough to the oil, if it has to come up immediately that means the oil is ready to fry) .
- Once it is done, remove tukdi from the oil and put it on a paper towel.
- Repeat the same procedure for the remaining dough.
Enjoy this as a evening snack with a hot cuppa Tea or Coffee or just have it plain.