Kashmiri Pulao/ Kashmiri Pulav is a very mildly sweet and aromatic pulav unlike the redular pulav/pulao. It’s a easy one pot dish to make which can be eaten just like this or served with raitha or any kind of spicy side dish. Its all your choice.
We like ours just like that, but I made some simple raitha with Roasted jeera flavor for my daughter as she likes yogurt a lot.
Here is how to Cook Kashmiri Pulao/Pulav
Ø 2 Cups - Basmati Rice ( I have not used very long grain basmati rice)
Ø 3 tbsp - Ghee or Oil
Ø 1 - Dried Bay Leaf
Ø 2 inch - Cinamon Stick
Ø 4 - Cloves
Ø 1 - Star Anise
Ø 1 - Small Mace
Ø 2 - Green Cardamom
Ø 1 tsp - Caraway Seeds/Shahjeera
Ø 1 tsp - Roasted Fennel Seeds Powder
Ø 3 3/4 Cups ofWater
Ø Salt to taste
For Assembley :
Ø 1 tbsp - Ghee or Oil
Ø 25 - Cashewnuts
Ø 10 to 15 - Almonds
Ø 1 tbsp - Raisins
Ø ½ Cup - Green Peas
Ø ½ cup carrots cut into cubes
Ø ½ Cup - Chopped Pineapple *
Ø ¾ th Cup – Black Seedless Grapes *
1) Wash and soak rice for 20 to 30 minutes after that drain water and keep aside, Meanwhile chop pineapple and cut black grapes and keep aside for later use. Now In a wide pan or wok heat ghee or oil add all whole garam masala/spices and sauté for 1 minute.
2) Now add caraway seeds (shah jeera), roasted fennel powder (saunf powder) and sauté for 1 minute.
3) Add rice and sauté for 3-4 minutes in medium flame.
4) Add water, salt mix everything, cover and cook rice until done. Or cook the same in pressure cooker or rice cooker until rice is done.
5) Meanwhile cook peas on stove top or microwave for 4 minutes or until peas is cooked.
6) Cook carrots or steam them until done. Do not overcook the carrots.
7) Heat 1 tbsp ghee in a pan or wok, add cooked peas and sauté for a minutes and do the same add cooked carrot with stirring it, keep aside. In a same pan add almonds, cashews and fry until golden brown, add raisin and sauté for few seconds, Drain dry fruits from the ghee and keep aside.
8) Once rice gets cooked separate it with a fork or spatula gently to separate grains, transfer in another large bowl/plate or in same pan or large wok, add roasted dry fruits, sautéed peas and carrots and mix well (keep side little for garnishing). Add all fruits (keep side little for garnishing) and mix well.
9) Garnish with remaining dry fruits and fruits and serve.
Normally they add pomegranate seeds to this pulav/ pulao but as I did not have them I skipped it. Add ¼ th cup of pomegranate seeds to the pulav if using.
You can use green grapes or red grapes its your choice.
You can add chopped apples too. We can call it Fruit and Nut pulav too.
Till Later Then,