What do you do when you have some sudden cravings? Order from any restaurant or make it yourself ? or just think about it and rest back? I love trying it on my own 90% of the times. Sometimes yes I do rest back or order(which happens rarely). This dish was made on one such day when I was having sudden cravings for some Indo Chinese dish.
Luckily I had everything in my pantry so I ended up making Baby corn Manchurian.
Here is what we need for making Baby Corn Manchurian:
For the batter:
- 1 packet of babycorn
- 2 tbsp cornflour/corn starch
- 4 tbsp all purpose flour/maida
- ¼ th tsp soya sauce
- ½ tsp ginger garlic paste (optional)
- ½ tsp black pepper powder
- water as required
- salt as required
- oil for deep frying the babycorn
For the manchurian sauce.
- 2 spring greens, chopped - reserve some greens for garnishing
- 2 spring onion bulbs, finely chopped
- 1 small capsicum/green bell pepper - chopped (optional)
- 1 green chili, finely chopped
- ½ inch ginger, finely chopped
- 4-5 garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp tomato sauce(optional)
- 1 tsp black pepper powder
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil or sesame oil
- Salt to taste
- ½ tsp Sugar
For preparing the batter:
- Rinse the baby corn in water.
- Chop them if they are slightly big.
- In a bowl mix all the dry ingredients mentioned under the batter except for baby corn and oil.
- Add water and make a thick batter.
- Dip the baby corn in the batter and coat them evenly.
- Heat oil for frying.
- Deep fry the baby corn in hot oil till they are golden brown and crisp.
Now let’s prepare the sauce.
- Heat oil in a wok or kadai.
- Add the finely chopped spring onions bulbs and stir fry till they become transparent.
- Add the ginger, garlic, green chilies.
- Stir fry for a minute.
- Now add the soy sauce & tomato sauce.
- Now add the chopped capsicum.
- Stir and mix well.
- Add the fried baby corn.
- Stir and season with salt, sugar, pepper powder.
- Stir again till the sauce gets coated the baby corn evenly.
- Serve baby corn Manchurian hot garnished with spring onion greens.
You can use a tsp of red chilly powder instead of using 1 tsp chilli powder in the sauce.
I add a little soya sauce in the batter that gives a little extra taste to the baby corns.