Mirch Ka Salan

I have never attempted Hyderabadi cuisine though I got tempted by the dishes I saw in my fellow bloggers page.  How long could I be without cooking it? I was always tempted to try mirchi ka salan when I saw or even heard about it. This time when I was in Mangalore I had many guinea pigs ( all family members ;)) on whom I could experiment my dish. And fortunately this recipe turned to be really good.
Here is what we need to do


Ingredients :
  • 5-6 Large Green Chilies (i have used Bajji Mirchis) - slit them without removing stems and remove the seeds
  • Marble sized tamarind ball - soaked in water for atleast 15 minutes
  • 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
  • 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
  • 1/2 tsp red chili powder
  • 1 tsp jaggery
  • Salt to taste
  • 3 tbsp gingelly oil or (you can use any oil of your choice)
  • 1 tsp mustard seeds
  • 10 curry leaves

For Masala:

  • 2 large onions - chopped
  • 1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds/methi
  • 1/2 tbsp coriander seeds
  • 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
  • 2 tbsp sesame seeds (til)
  • 1 tsp poppy seeds ( I added it when I was in India but here in the UAE we do not get poppy seeds so I do not add it, instead I add a tsp more of til, it makes not much a difference)
  • 1/4 cup roasted peanuts (remove skin after roasting)
  • 1/4 cup fresh or frozen grated coconut

Method :

To Prepare Masala/Paste :
  •  In a pan dry roast fenugreek seeds, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, poppy seeds, peanuts and coconut for a minute or two(make sure you don’t burn them).
  • Heat tbsp oil in a pan and fry chopped onions till they turn translucent and soft. Remove from the heat and keep it aside to cool.
  • Grind the roasted onions along with roasted ingredients in a mixer grinder toa very smooth paste. Add water only  if necessary. Keep it aside for later use.
To Prepare the gravy :
  • Heat the oil in a kadai or deep bottom pan. Fry deseeded chilies till they acquire a roasted touch. Remove from the oil and keep it aside.
  • In the same oil add mustard seeds and curry leaves.. Add ginger-garlic paste and ground masala. Sauté for a while.
  • Add turmeric powder, red chili powder and jaggery. Stir well and add fried chilies. Add salt to taste and cook it covered on low flame for 3 minutes or so.
  • Add water (around ¾ th to 1 cup)and cook it covered till oil separates and gravy becomes little thick.
  • Remove from the heat.
  •  Serve hot with Hyderabadi biriyani or rice.( We ate it with plan white rice).

Enjoy Cooking,

Comments

Hari Chandana said…
Looks super delicious and tempting.. thanks for sharing!