You can make these deep fried crisps and enjoy!
2 cups All Purpose flour / Maida
1/2 cup Sooji /semolina
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ajwain/ vonvon(in konkani)/carom seeds
4 tbsp oil
3/4 cup lukewarm water (use as needed)
Oil to fry
- Mix all dry ingredients, except oil for deep frying and water.
- Then water little by little kneading into nice dough(make sure its not to soft or neither too hard but must be stiff).
- Cover and keep for 15 minutes.
- Break into small portions; roll in 1" wide rounds.
- Keep a little thicker than puris. Prick with a fork at least 2 to 3 places to avoid from puffing.
- Finish for all dough.
- Heat oil in a frying pan; add some matri at a time.
- Fry till lightly golden, flip side and repeat, fry till they turn crisp(do not fry on high heat as the matris will brown but not be crisp)
- Drain on a paper towel and cool.
- Store in an airtight container.
This quantity yields 40 matris
Some serve this with spicy pickle, but I like to munch these just like that.
Enjoy and Happy Cooking!