Khasta Namak Paare/Namak paare
2 cups All purpose flour (plain flour or maida) +some to sprinkle
2 tbsp sooji
¾ teaspoon Salt
¼ teaspoon Carom seeds (ajwain)
2 -3 tablespoon oil
About 1/3 cup water as needed
Oil to deep fry + oil to roll on the sheets
1. Mix flour, sooji, salt, carom seeds, and oil, and mix it with fingertips to get consistency of breadcrumb.
2. Add water as needed to make firm but smooth dough. Cover with damp cloth and set aside at least for ten minutes.
3. Knead the dough for another minute and divide in two equal parts.
4. Take each part of the dough and make a flat ball shape.
5. Spread 1 tsp oil over the rolled sheet. Sprinkle some dry refined flour over this rolled sheet and spread evenly using a spoon. After this, fold the sheet. For this, fold the sheet from one side bringing it to the half. Now similarly fold from the other side as well. Again apply some oil over the rolled sheet and sprinkle some refined flour over it. Spread out evenly.
6. After this, fold it from one side bringing it to the half and likewise fold the second side as well. This way a thick layered sheet will be ready. Now again roll out this square sheet lengthwise (roll out this sheet little thick).
7. Cut each of the rolled dough into about half inch wide and 2 inch long pieces.
8. Heat the oil in a frying pan on medium heat.
9. To check if the oil is ready, put a small piece of dough in the oil. The dough must come rise up slowly.
10. Do not over crowd the pan when frying. Fry the namak pares until both sides are light golden-brown.
11. After namak pares come to room temperature they will become crisp.
12. Once cooled store them in air tight container.
You can add some crushed pepper to make theeke pares.