Winter calls for hot soups and what if a soup is creamy and yet needs no cream in it, isn’t it interesting? And what if it’s a ingredient that we are going to throw in the trash bin? Still more interesting isn’t it?
This thought came in my mind when Amma spoke told me that she is going to make Green pea skin sabzi, I had thought of the same but the Experimenting mind in me thought of a soup and while browsing to see if anyone had tried it and saw that Tarla Dalal website had the same and it gave me more confidence to try it and here it is.
Green Peas Skin Soup, this is creamy, mild in taste and yum, all those who love creamy and mild soups do try it.
Here is what we need:
Green Peas skin(the outer cover of the Green peas) -4 cups
Onion roughly chopped – 1 medium
Milk -1 cup
Green peas -2 tbsp
Butter – 1 tsp
Olive oil -1 tsp
Black pepper powder – as per taste
Salt to taste
Water as required
- Take the outer cover of green peas skin and remove the inner membrane of the skin(for that just fold the skin inward and gently pull the skin) so that its easy for us to grind the skin.
(this is how the inner skin/membrane of the grean pea skin looks like)
- Heat the butter and olive in a pressure cooker or a deep kadai, add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for a minute.
- Add the green peas skin and green peas, mix well and allow to cook for 2 minutes
- Add 1 cup milk and ½ cup of water (approx), mix well and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Cool completely.
- When cooled, blend in a mixer grinder/mixie/blender till smooth.
- Strain the mixture using a strainer and transfer into the same pressure cooker pan.
- Add the 1 cup of water, salt and pepper, mix well and cook on slow flame for 2 to 3 minutes or until the soup comes to rolling boil keep stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot sprinkled with some pepper powder.
Here I have removed the inner membrane of the skin as I had decided of making Sabzi first but ended up to make this. If making soup its not compulsory to remove the inner membrane.
I have just garnished the soup with lesser than ¼ th tsp of cream just for a appealing look. I have not added a drop more than this.
Till Next post,