I love rice varieties so I keep experimenting and this one is just a experiment which turned out Yummy. I have named it Huli Gojju anna , here huli means sour which comes from raw mango and tamarind, gojju means something like a chutney and anna means rice.
Do try it and let me know how you liked it.
Huli Gojju Anna
1 cup Sona masuri rice or jeerakasala rice
1 small lemon size Tamarind
2 tbsp grated raw mango (it needs to be sour)
3-4 tbsp Groundnuts
1 tbsp Sambar Powder
2 tbsp grated Jaggery
2-3 tbsp roasted Sesame
½ tsp Turmeric powder
Salt to taste
½ tsp Mustard seeds
2 tbsp Chana dal
1 tbsp Urad dal
3 dry kashmiri Red chillies
A pinch of Asafoetida
A sprig of Curry leaves
2-3 tbsp oil
- Wash the rice and cook it the way you do. To pressure cook add 2 ¼th cup water and cook. Or use open pan to cook or electric rice cooker. Make sure the grains are not too sticky!
- Once the rice is done, allow to cool it completely
- Soak tamarind in ¼th cup of water for 10-15 mins. After it is cooled down remove the pulp and add grated jaggery and mix well until jaggery is melted completely.
- In a kadai/deep bottom pan heat oil and add groundnuts and fry until they turn slight red,add chana dal,urad dal, crackle the mustard seeds,red chillies,green chillies,roasted sesame seeds 00 and fry for a couple of minutes until done.
- Add curry leaves,asafoetida and turmeric powder and fry for a minute ,now add the grated raw mango and then add tamarind pulp mixture and mix until the mixture starts to thicken.Add turmeric powder,sambar powder,enough salt to it and mix and cook for another 5 mins until the mixture thickens completely.
- Now remove it from the stove and mix the required amount of gojju properly to the rice until everything is well blended.Now check the taste of it and add more tamarind mixture or salt according to your taste. If required add more gojju. For me this amount of gojju is required for 1 cup rice.
If you don’t find raw mango then replace small lemon sized tamarind quantity with large lemon sized tamarind it will give same sourness.
Till my next Post,
Happy Cooking ,
Happy Cooking ,