Jeev Kadgi Bajo
Jeev kadgi/bread fruit is a vegetable which looks like and textures like bread from the inside.
Jeev kadgi bajo is a famous Konkani snack that is made around the Konkani houses in coastal Karnataka. It is had as a snack for evening coffee or tea or along as a brunch.
The recipe for jeev kadgi bajo is as follows
1. Wash and cut jeev kadgi cut into thin (1” thickness) slices, add the slices in water (otherwise it will turn brown).
2. 1 cup chane peet/bengal gram flour(besan)
3. 1/4 tsp asafetida powder(hing)
4. 1 tsp chilli powder
5. 1 tsp of black sesame seeds
6. Salt to taste
7. Oil for frying (we use coconut oil that tastes so good in our dishes)
Make a thick batter using ingredients no 2 to 7 using water. The batter must be a little thinner than dosa batter but not runny.
Dip the jeev kadgi slices in the batter and deep fry till crispy.
Serve hot as a snack with hot coffee or tea.
You can grind 2-3 green chillies into a smooth paste and add it in place of chilli powder. This gives the spice needed for the bajo.
Isn’t this a simple snack? So why wait if you get your hands to this jeev kadgi then try it asap.