- Cooking time: 8-9 min
- Serves: 2
- Oats - 1 cup, lightly dry roasted atlast for 5 minutes on low flame
- Water - ¾ th cup or a little more
- Turmeric powder - ¼ th tsp
- Lemon juice - 1 ¼ th tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Peanuts – a fistful
- Oil - 2 tsp
- For tempering:
- Mustard seeds - ½ tsp
- Urad Dal/split black gram - 1 tsp
- Chana Dal/Bengal gram - 1 ½ tsps
- Green chilies - 2, slit
- Curry leaves - 1 sprig
- Hing/Asafoetida - ¼ th tsp
- Heat oil in a wok or a deep pan. Once hot add peanuts and roast until crisp but don’t burn it. Add all dals and allow to turn lightly red.Add mustard seeds and allow to splutter. Add green chilies, red chili, curry leaves and asafoetida and mix well.
- Add turmeric powder and mix. Add water and salt and bring to a boil.
- Add oats and mix well. Reduce flame and cover with a lid. Cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Remove lid, add lemon juice and mix well. Cook without lid for 4 more minutesmaking sure you mix it once in a while.
- Serve hot with hot cuppa tea or coffee.
Chech if we need more water than mentioned above i have done as I did not want the oats to get dry. Add very little water if needed.
You can add a red chilli in the tadka if you wish it to be a little extra spicy.
Till then Happy Cooking,